Campus Ministry 2015-2016
Living the Gospel Message (LTGM)
Freshman Year Service Guidelines
Service for any organization or activity at Bishop Ready High School is not acceptable for LTGM minimum requirements; service must be done in the greater community beyond Bishop Ready.
Guidelines for the completion of the freshman requirement are as follows:
· A minimum of 20 hours of service;
· Service to be completed in the student's parish or faith community;
· A maximum of 10 hours will be accepted for any of the following liturgical ministries: altar server, choir, cantoring, instrumental, hospitality, lectoring, or Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion with a maximum of 15 hours for liturgical ministry per year;
· A maximum of 5 hours volunteering in the parish, elementary school or agency to coach, assist, keep score, or sell refreshments at athletic events and/or the cleaning of athletic venues is allowed;
· Bingo is not acceptable under any circumstances because of legal issues;
· Working at home (baking, sewing etc.) is not acceptable service;
· A parent or family member may not be the supervisor;
· Service is not complete until an original, completed supervisor's evaluation is given to the student's freshman theology teacher;
· If a student does not belong to a parish or faith community service MUST BE COMPLETED in one of the following agencies: Mid-Ohio Food Bank, Guadalupe Center, Holy Family Soup Kitchen, St. Vincent DePaul Center (downtown), J.O.I.N. (Joint Organization for Innercity Needs), Salvation Army, Run the Race Club, or Westside Free Store Ministries.
No exceptions are allowed. These guidelines are firm.
It is strongly suggested that service hours be completed over the summer.
Any questions concerning community service must be addressed before beginning the service. If you are unsure about the agencies listed or the type of service being completed, please check with a member of Campus Ministry or e-mail Dr. SK at [email protected].
Students may begin their service hours after graduation from eighth grade and must have them completed by the last day of class, third quarter for a Theology grade. A Theology project grade will be given for successful completion of the requirement along with a written reflection by the due date. This grade is an all-or-nothing grade and will not be adjusted to fourth quarter in the event that the requirement is not met by the due date. Students may not work ahead in service hours (each year's service may not begin until after the completion of the current grade). Awards are given annually to students who perform service above and beyond that which is required.
After the school year begins, evaluation forms* may be e-mailed or mailed by the agency, or hand-delivered by the student to the appropriate theology teacher. Only original forms are acceptable. Bishop Ready High School is not responsible for supervisor evaluation forms delivered to the school during summer break. Please wait until the first day of regular classes to bring in evaluation forms.
*Evaluation forms may be downloaded from the Bishop Ready High School home page under Campus Ministry.
Freshmen who are not up-to-date in their service requirement by the end of the fourth quarter of freshman year will automatically become ineligible for all extra-curricular activities their sophomore year. Supervisor forms will not be accepted by anyone at Bishop Ready through the summer and the student will, therefore, remain ineligible until at least the first day of school. Affected students will need to return the appropriate forms on the first day of class the following year to their current theology teacher. NOTE: There are no exceptions to this policy.
Parish Youth Ministry/Freshmen:
All Bishop Ready students are urged and expected to remain active in their respective parish/church. Campus Ministry is available to help students become and remain involved in their parish/church and to assist those students without parish youth ministry at the parish level to become involved in Diocesan activities that require adult supervision. (For additional information, please see Parish Youth Ministry subject heading under Campus Ministry Program.)